Live rock (necessity?)

Hkp7

Reefing newb
Correct me if I am wrong but I am under the impression that Live rock is needed for biological filtration. Are there any other reasons there would be a need for live rock? Why do you need at least 1 to 2 lbs per gallon? Are there filtration systems using bio balls which can take the place of live rock? Can the live sand take place of some of the needed rock? Also, how do the many pet stores I have seen with tanks and tanks of fish get away with using very little or no live rock? I am just curious because I am starting my system over, all new equipment, and dont even plan to put any life let alone water in my system until I have a complete education of nitrogen cycle, bacteria, chemical filtration, biological filtration and mechanical filtration. I want to have everything I need before I start back up due to my half A throw together system I had before that resulted in all my fish dying. By the way, if anyone has any good websites or book reccomendations I would apprectiate it.

Correct me if I am wrong but I am under the impression that Live rock is needed for biological filtration. Yes this is your best biological filtration Are there any other reasons there would be a need for live rock?a healthy, natural environment for your animals Why do you need at least 1 to 2 lbs per gallon? Are there filtration systems using bio balls which can take the place of live rock?In my opinion bio balls are cat toys, they harber nitrates and phosphates and require cleaning Can the live sand take place of some of the needed rock?No Also, how do the many pet stores I have seen with tanks and tanks of fish get away with using very little or no live rock? Is it in display tanks or in there tanks that they sell out of? the tanks they sell out of normally are treated with medications and they do larger water changes etc. and the fish aren't in them for long
its very smart to educate yourself before adding animals.

HKP7,

Winy is correct.
Saltwater tanks need the following for filtration :
Live Rock
Live Sand
Skimmer

You would be wise to stay away from :
Crushed Coral Substrate
Bio Ball filters
Canister filters
Hang-on back filters

You need about 1-2lbs of rock per gallon.
You can buy inexpensive "BASE ROCK" and add a few lbs of "LIVE ROCK".
The live will seed the base over time.

Good Luck.

I second Winy's and Messiah's ideas. Live rock is absolutely necessary. It provides an anearobic and aerobic environment for both types of bacteria, which you need in your tank. A sand bed (unless is 9+ inches deep) and bioballs provide nothing in terms of habitat for anaerobic bacteria, which leads to high nitrates and unhappy animals.

Back