Live Rock Bacteria/Disease?

PRC

Stop Quoting Me!
I'm looking to buy some live rock this weekend. I can obviously get it from a few different LFS in the area for $5-10 per lb.. But I could also get it from CL for less $ per lb. Which aslo means more rock..

My concern is, how do you know what's on it or in it? is there some way to tell if it might have some sort of bacteria or something that's not so good for the tank. Or are you just taking a risk, and for that matter, how are you sure about the rock at the local LFS?

I'm just a little weirded out about throwing something in my tank that may have been in another tank that crashed, etc.

Any suggestions?

well depends wear you get your live rock some people cure live rock (curing live rock is when you remove unwanted hitchhikers and dead animals that may raise your ammonia) if your LFS doesnt do that you will have to do that your self.

I'm not aware of any bacteria or anything that the rock could carry. There's always the possibility that rock will have pests on it -- aiptasia, flatworms, bad crabs, etc.

The worst thing that can come on your rock is not any of those, but copper. If you do buy rock off of someone else, be sure to bring a copper test with you to make sure the rock isn't contaminated.

Buying rock from other hobbyists is a great way to save money, and the benefits probably far outweigh the risks.

Thanks for the input Biff. Greatly appreciated. I assume the LFS sells a copper tester. Thanks again.

There is also a risk that if the rock has been in a tank that ran high phosphates for a long time then it will slowly leach the phosphates out and you may have an algae outbreak until it all is leached out, I have seen tanks that people have bought used rock from someone that didn't maintain their tank properly take up to a year to remove all of the phosphates. This will also cause issues with coral growth.

Back