Lighting ?

Yeah that's high enough to keep anything you want. Don't know about your TEK question; sorry.

What kind of light are you looking at? The watt per gallon "rule of thumb" kind of depends on the type of lights.

T5's. I need one 48" over about 100 gallons on the long side of an L shape tank and one 24" over about 55 gallons on the shortside

With T5s, make sure you buy lights that have individual reflectors for each bulbs. It's estimated that the individual reflectors increase output by up to 300%.

No. T8s are not efficient at all. They are not commonly used in this hobby anymore because they put out hardly any light. T5s are the best out of all the fluorescents.

ok looked at the nova extreme pro lights and the 48" lights total wattage is 324w. That would be about 3wpg. maybe i need to look into something with metal halides to get around 8wpg.

No. Like I said, with the Pros, they have individual reflectors, so you can't necessarily follow the watts per gallon rule. The 6 bulbs Pro set up is fine.

so the 48" with 324w with individual reflectors would be around 950w? which would give me the 8+wpg and the 20" with 108w would be around 320w, which would give me about 6wpg? sorry so many questions

Hello, I am new to the hobby and I to have a question regarding lighting. I have a 55 gallon tank - 18 inches deep. I currently have (2) 65 watt 10,000K daylight, (2) 65 watt 03 Blue Actinic power compact flourescent lamps - 260 watts total. Do I have enough light intensity to keep SPS corals?

The Nova Pros wont actually give you more wattage.But they will give you more light PER watt.T-5s more or less shot the watts per gallon rule out the window.
If you go with the Nova Pros,you'll plenty of light for any coral,clam,or anemone you want to keep.

Hello, I am new to the hobby and I to have a question regarding lighting. I have a 55 gallon tank - 18 inches deep. I currently have (2) 65 watt 10,000K daylight, (2) 65 watt 03 Blue Actinic power compact flourescent lamps - 260 watts total. Do I have enough light intensity to keep SPS corals?

You've got enough for softies and some LPS.But I dont think I would try SPS under those.

Power compacts are on the low end when it comes to the quality of lights required to keep SPS. You may be okay if you put the SPS at the top of the tank, but your lighting is borderline, at best, for anything that requires high lighting.

Actinic lights are mainly for looks. But if you have a tank with only 10Ks, your corals will look brown and yellow. Actinics are what make the colors of the corals pop.

Back