Lighting Question

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
Hi, I have a new 26 gallon tank that I am just setting up. It is time to look at upgrading my lighting. I have no idea how to do this. My tank is around 18" deep (not including sand) and my hood holds a single 18" florescent bulb. I know the T5 is what everyone says I should get but I can't find one that will fit my hood. Is there something I don't understand here? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Catherine
www.catherinethereefkeeper.blogspot.com

Is it one of the cheap hoods that typically comes with a new tank?If it is,you can just remove it.That way you use a set of T-5s and increase your tanks gas exchange.

Hi yote, yes it is one of those cheap hoods, but I really kind of like it. Are you saying I should leave my top open and get a new fixture that fits over half of it? We've got dogs that are blowing their coat right now and some very hairy cats. I would hate to think that my tank could get contaminated? Maybe I should have a piece of plexiglass cut? Thanks.

OMG! Did I count 8 lights in there?????? Your tank is SO beautiful!!!!! So, you've got 8 lights, some of which are moon lights????? How do you know how many to put on your tank? You have been so nice to give me all this advice. Soon, I hope to be able to use my expertise to help you guys, I'm a professional photographer/ artist. Thanks!!!!

Catherine
www.catherinethereefkeeper.blogspot.com

Please refer to this thread:D
https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?p=164841#post164841
The way we figure which lights we wont,is by the light demand of the corals we plan to keep.The more demanding stony corals require a lot of light.But a lot of the softies,not so much.The general rule of thumb is at least 5 watts per gallon for softies and a lot of LPS.8 to 9 + watts for stonies and anemones.
And with T-5s,you figure 2.3 watts per actual watt used.(Please dont quote me on that cause thats just what popped in my head).

https://www.livingreefs.com/articles/lighting-f48.php

These articles may help with your lighting question.
I perfer to keep the top of my tank open,for 2 reasons.#1)It helps oxygenate the water by helping the tank breath through gas exchange.#2)It keep the water from getting too warm,because theres nothing there to hold heat in.
If you use plexi-glass to cover the top,you'll have to keep it cleaned so that you get as much as possible through it.The salt creep,algae,water spots and such will block the life giving light from your corals.

i would use the nova extreme pro that i linked to because it has two more bulbs and it has independent reflectors which would give you the same PAR outage as having 12 bulbs

I've only got a 26 gallon tank! Won't my fishes and corals get a sunburn? Do I need moonlights? They sound like they would be cool to have. Thanks, Catherine

ok, how do you put a light and fixtures on top of a little tank? Shouldn't it all be one unit? Thanks for your help on this!

Back