Lighting Question ...

RAYRAY

Tiny Tank Club A+ Member
Now that I have the green hairy mushrooms, should I change my light schedule ??? right now it is 2:30 pm to 9:30 pm with lunar lights from 9:30pm to 6:30 am. I think that I have to change it to a longer schedule!!
thanks

I dont see a problem with your schedule.Unless you just want to up the time the lights are on.If thats the case,add 15 minutes a week untill you hit the time you want.
That way you shouldnt get an algae bloom from more light.

I agree, six is fine for the corals you have (which don't require a lot of light, relatively speaking). Once you get more corals you may want to increase your photoperiod. Most people seem to keep their lights on between 10 and 14 hours a day. I'm right in the middle, at 12 hours.

after about 4-5 hours, keeping the lights on is more about our wanting to see our fish and corals than it is for their health. You have your lights on a good schedule for now.

-Doc

Some people say its a bad thing but I like to mix up my lighting schedule. The natural reef certainly has this with overcast conditions said to take place 84 days a year.

My lights are on timers and full lighting is only five hours a day. I manually mix this up every once in a while by hitting the switch manually leaving just the actincs to simulate an over cast day. Of course I then forget to turn it back on which then simulates an over cast morning also.

Back