Lighting Question

sagent3000

Reefing newb
okay i have a question about how to do this new light

this is the DEFINANT

2X54 420 nm
2X54 460 nm

now here is the question

i am doing 2x250 HQI but here is the question what will give me the most intensity

i want the one that will give me the most intense light can anyone help i need it fast because i just bought a blue carpet because my marron was ovulating

Don't forget the bulb manufacturer has something to do with what are best.I heard great things about the XM and Reeflux bulbs.

i saw the blue and liked the color thats really the only reason i got it. i was going to get a rose red bubble but they did not have one so i was walking around the store and saw it and said i had to have it

Be careful with carpet anemones, they will catch and eat fish. Even their own clowns. I've seen it happen with my own eyes. They aren't very good anemones to have in your tank if you want to keep your fish alive.

Last edited:
personally i would go with 2 x 250w 10K Reeflux metal halides and 2 x 54w 460 actinics. this combitination should give you a bright white look. i say 10K for coral growth and the actinics for aesthetic appeal for you, as i just stated in another thread.

Reefkeeper - are you saying i should not do the the 2x54 420nm?

Biffer & kimoy should i take the carpet back and get a rose red or some other anemone?

You can take it back if you want to. You don't need an anemone for your clown in the first place, which is why I was confused as to why you bought an anemone just because your clown was ovulating. Bubble tip anemones are the easiest to keep, and they aren't known to go after your fish like the carpets are. If you like the look of the carpet (and I know the blue ones look absolutely AWESOME), then you can keep it, but just beware that they have a tendency to eat anything that swims by.

sorry i had those backwards ...

Actinic 03 (420nm) is designed to cause a fluoresce. The 420nm will have a similiar blueish/purplish tint to a black light and brings out the color of your corals and fish. Actinic BLUE (460nm) is designed to have a much stronger/vibrant bright blue coloration in your tank. Both being of the 400nm, however both having different visual appearances.

Sagent,I think your combination of two 420 and two 460 in combination with the 10k MH would look great.UV super actinic(420) and ATI blue+ would be my choice.

Upgrade

okay i have decided that its time to upgrade from the 75 to a larger tank. here is the problem. i have a tunze turbelle that shoots out 2200gph and i have it turned to the back wall because its to much flow for the tank since the tank is 48". here are my choices for a tank

150 - 48 x 30 x 25 Tall
190 - 48 x 36 x 25 Tall

will the tunze still be to much water flow or will the extra height compensate for the water flow? i plan to push the rock up against the back of the tank

I think somewhere near the middle and close enough to ripple the surface will work.On the back glass facing forward.

Bigger is always better in my opinion,go 190.I do prefer a longer 6' tank though.

if i go with the 60" can i still use my 48" light? here are the ones i was thinking about for the 60"

195 - 60 x 30 x 25 Tall
240 - 60 x 36 x 25 Tall

Sure,it probably be better to hang the lights from the ceiling or have the lights in a canopy.Keep the more light demanding corals away from the ends.Those are unually wide tanks(30'' and 36'' wide).Who makes those tanks?

I have to tell you that Glasscages is located near where I live.The local reefers who bought tanks from them either love it or hate it.I would check your LFS for Oceanic tanks.They even build custom sizes too.

Back