Lighting For a 30 Gallon

Juiced19

Reefing newb
Okay i have a 30 Gallon Saltwater tank. I have 2 Coralife lighting fixtures containing 2 lights each. The lights are T5 Halogen bulbs at 31 watts each. 2 bulbs are Actinic and the other 2 bulbs are 10,000k. So that's 124 Watts. Is this enough light. Also i have fragments of soft coral in my tank how long should i leave the lights on. I have moon lights also for night time. Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the site...124watts give you approx 4.1 watts per gallon, which is good enough for most corals...but if the light fixture has independent reflectors, then that's even better.

I would leave the white lights on for 8 hours and have the actinic lights on for 11, with one hour overlap on each side of the white lights, and then the moon lights on when those two are off.

First off, I say congrats on finding a 30" fixture!!!!!

The are t5 High Output. Halogen is a different kind of lighting system and is not used for our tanks.

I run 96 watts over my 29 gallon tank and keep a lot of corals happy and health. So yours should be doing great.

I run my lights about 10 hours a day

Hello and welcome to the site...124watts give you approx 4.1 watts per gallon, which is good enough for most corals...but if the light fixture has independent reflectors, then that's even better.

Yes each fixture has reflectors. I found these lights at pet supplies plus. They had 24 30 and 36 inches.

Back