Lighting DIY Question

andysgirl8800

Blenny Badlands
My current lighting setup includes 3 175w MH bulbs flanked on either side by my actinics. All the lights are mounted on a white-backed fixture. I was thinking of making it more reflective with a chrome paint (designed for automotive use, so high temperature tolerant). I have 2 questions....Would this actually increase the reflective power of the fixture? And, would this be safe to use? Thanks!

It might help. White is actually very reflective though too. If you can get a paint that is a mirror-like finish, then it would be better than white. You must make sure that it is safe though, In time it will break down and could end up in the water so you don't want anything with heavy metals or toxins in it. Also, you will need to let it cure completely or the heat from the lights will ruin it. You should probably be looking at the engine block type as it will be designed to withstand heat.

If your not using real reflectors, white paint is best. Just keep in mind reflectors are engineered to direct the light down into the tank. Anything else just scatters the light around, so you won't see an improvement by painting them.

Back