lighting and gpm

crappie

Reefing newb
hello guys and gals, i am getting ready to install a new 275 reef tank in my home. i used to have a 240 but had a large accident and lost all. that was ten years ago. i have missed this hobby greatly. any how my question is i would like some personal opinions on what lighting i should install. i do not know anything about the led lights they offer now other than they are not cheap. so led vs metal halide. and second question is what is the recommeded gpm flow for my tank... 72x24x37high

For a tank that size tank,I'd recommend these.
Blueline 300w VHO LED Fixture :: BlueLine LED Pendants :: LED Lighting Systems :: Lighting :: Champion Lighting & Supply
We'll be using them over one my maintenance tanks.It's a 850 gallon reef thats going in one of the local DR's offices.
For the flow,that's something you'll have to play with yourself.Some say the flow sould be 10-15X the tank volume other say 20-30X.I say that as long as the corals are happy and the sands staying on the bottom,then you don't have too much flow.
You want enough to keep the dead spot to a minimum and keep waste in suspension.

Hello and welcome to the site...yote has you covered. You can't go wrong with a good t-5 fixture, and you want at least 10x turnover rate.

I used to have a 240 gallon. For my lights, I used a 4 x 250 watt MH/T5 combo. It wasn't cheap, but it did the trick, and lights for a tank that size will be pricey no matter what!

i was looking at getting the hamilton fixture with 3 250 watt hallides and t5 acintic lights and moon glow led. 72 inch fixture. any opinions?? i was scared of going led due to the mixed comments i have received.

As far as I'm concerned,you can't go wrong with LEDs.But that's just one ole dawgs opinion.
Of course that Hamilton fixture will work too.It'll just produce a whole more heat than the LEDs.

Back