Lighting......again....

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
I know I asked a similar question before, but I'm hoping for a bit more detail. Are t5 only sufficient for my 180? I do not want to be limited by my lighting, but I'd really like to avoid a chiller if possible. What about combo units? Is there any one brand that stands out? I like the price of the 72" nova extreme pro, but will it be enough? And do they all have 36" bulbs, wouldn't it be better to run staggered 60" or something like that, as they aren't a whole lot more expensive? Thanks for all the replies!

your 180 is 24" deep correct? if so the nova extreme pro will be enough light for your tank and you will not be limited on your coral you can keep, they are the best you can get without going to MH since the pros have the individual reflectors

If you really want T5's for your 180, don't mess around. Get an Aquatinics Constellation. You're looking at about 550w. FYI, 550w of T5 is no cooler running than 3x175w mh (525w). A watt gives off the same amount of heat whether it's a fan, mh bulb or T5 bulb. The difference is in how to disperse the heat.

T-5s with IR would be plenty of light.And if I'm not mistaken,the link that Capt posted is the fixture that Reefs running on his 200 and something gallon tank.

Ok then, is 550 sufficient for what I keep? I am going to have my carpet anemone, clams, and will hopefully get more into keeping sps and other light dependant corals

The Aquatinics Constellation would be sufficient but they are EXPENSIVE. You could get yourself into Halides for about half the price if you are patient. While you are running them you could save for T5s if you decide to. With the climate in Ontario being pretty much the same as mine in Western New York Im betting you wont need a chiller probably just some fans.

Now, I'm looking at the constellation and loving it, but 14 bulbs? You are looking at 350 in bulbs every what, 12 months? holy chit batman......sigh

The nova extreme pro is less bulbs = less lumens, and the contoured reflector I'm not too sure about. Catalina has a 72" with 8 80 watt bulbs, but how hard is it to find replacements?

but the thing about the pros is with the IR's it has one it, you get the same output as if you were running 12 t-5 bulbs without the reflectors

Im wondering not trying to steal ur thread. But I just got my nova pros in today and they are 48" and the fans are loud!! i can only imagine what how loud they would be on a 72". Im already looking into rigging up a temp controller onto my lights fans. So my question is what kind of coolin do the metal halides use? How about on that insane 14 bulb constelation? Or is it that current usa used low grade fans on the lights??? Just a thought to consider.

the constelation and MH still use fans, and the fans on my 48" pros arent loud at all and i sit right by them, i guess i just got used to it

I guess i will get used to the aquarium noise in that room. My aquarium is inthe quite room of the house. And my wife and i would like to keep it that way and i guess i was just surprised how loud the fans are. I think im still gonna look into a temp controller.

Now, I'm looking at the constellation and loving it, but 14 bulbs? You are looking at 350 in bulbs every what, 12 months? holy chit batman......sigh

The nova extreme pro is less bulbs = less lumens, and the contoured reflector I'm not too sure about. Catalina has a 72" with 8 80 watt bulbs, but how hard is it to find replacements?

You'd be look at replacing the actinics at about 12 months and the others around the 18 month mark.
I've heard that the 80 watt T-5 bulbs need to be replaced at 6 months.

Back