Light fixture not completely working

Got a fixture that isnt completely working. One of the bulbs kinda just flickers and doesnt turn all the way on. The bulb itself is fine because it works fine in the other slot. Any ideas on troble shooting this:grumble:

If the bulb working in a different socket, the problem is most likely a bad ballast. If it's a magnetic ballast (it will weight about 10-15lbs) the capacitor is probably going bad and can be replaced. If it's an electronic ballast the whole thing (ballast) will have to be replaced.

EDIT: ignore this answer...lol. I assumed you were talking about MH's. :)

Last edited:
If the bulb working in a different socket, the problem is most likely a bad ballast. If it's a magnetic ballast (it will weight about 10-15lbs) the capacitor is probably going bad and can be replaced. If it's an electronic ballast the whole thing (ballast) will have to be replaced.
Do T5s have different ballasts for each bulb?

Do T5s have different ballasts for each bulb?

not all of them, but it is possible that one output would be bad.

I would also check to make sure that the wiring isn't loose. If it is a brand new fixture, contact the place you bought it from and see about getting a new one shipped to you. Opening up the fixture most likely would void any sort of warranty.

Hey, thanks for the replys. The fixture is old I believe they are t whatever came out before t5's, slightly bigger bulb than a t5.... I will disassemble and chech wording first if I can't fix it, it goes in the trash, I figured my tank could use a lil more light and was gunna try and fix it. It would add another 78 watts to my tank but if not oh well.

Back