Leaving for a week

stagofdoom

Phi Kappa Psi
So I am going on spring break this friday. I was going to take my fish to the LFS so they could hold them for the week that I was gone. He told me that would be fine but he also said I could feed them right before I left and turn all the lights off and throw a blanket over the tank and they would stay inactive untill I got back. I was just wondering if anyone has done this before and if it would be fine to do?
Thanks
Stag

You could probably do that for a 2-3 day period MAX, but 7 days I would not do that. If I were you I would put your lights on a cheap $3.99 timer so they come on and off each day and maybe have a relative or friend come over on day 3 or 4 to feed them and then they would be fine. Maybe someone who has done this before can chime in and help you a little better.

The owner said he has done it before and for like a 10 day period and he has been in the hobby for a long time. I am going to get the timer for my coral if I do take the fish to the LFS.
See the thing is I wish I could get someone to come feed them but I live in a dorm and its closing for the break. So thats out of the question. I wish I could do that though

The thing is, your tank is a) small and b) relatively new, so there isn't a lot of natural food sources established to sustain your fish for that long. I wouldn't risk it. If you can't get someone to take care of them, I'd take them to the store.

Back