koralia power head

dankolle

Reefing newb
I was wondering if anyone had any experience fixing one of thse power heads. It was working fine yesterday, came in today and its dead. I pulled it apart and it is very clean inside, the propeller is seated correctly and it spins very easily...but not on it's own. Is it time to trash and replace?

How old it is? You more than likely need to give it a good soak in vinegar to disolve all the built up calcium. Then after the soak I'd take a toothbursh and scrub it. It should work fine after that. If not, then it might be fried.

Its about 2 years old. It really isn't that dirty...the inside has a very fine layer of film but nothing close to pinching it off. I bought 2 at the same time and the other one is trucking along w/o issue...I just ordered $140 worth of coral now I have to spend more on a power head...welcome to any hobby right?

Try soaking in vinegar like Hiker suggested...wouldn't hurt. Do you hear/feel the motor humming? My powerheads are clean, but get stuck once in a while I soak them overnight in vinegar, and next morning, they're running smoothly. If that doesn't work, toss it.

Back