Kalkwasser.........?

mennazeher04

Reefing newb
I was told by my LFS that I should drip dose my kalkwasser, I have a dripper but how many drips should it be a second or per day or what? I dont wanna drip too much or not enough so help me please.......Thanks alot.:D

first off, never drip anything you can't test for. Do you have alkalinity and calcium test kits?

How is your water testing? If you don't have a decent calcium demand in your tank (lots of SPS or clams) then i would guarantee dripping kalwasser (lime water) isn't going matter for you. Regular water changes with decent salt will help you maintain those levels.

If your PH is a bit low, can't quite keep your Alk where you want, then I would look into Kent Marine Superbuffer DKH, which is a much easier method for new hobbyists to keep their alk and PH where it should be, without the worry of turning your tank into a snowglobe ;)

We need more info on your tank, and what you're doing with it, or where it's going.

Nathans (Ndp)right.But if you set on dripping kalk,you'll have to figure out how many drops it takes to make however much your doing last just untill the lights come on.Its got to be dripped at night when the PH is on the downward swing,or you risk shooting it too high.
Personally,I drip 1 gallon a night mixed with 3 teaspoons of Mrs.Wages Pickling lime with a drip rate of 1 drop about every 2 seconds.

first off, never drip anything you can't test for. Do you have alkalinity and calcium test kits?

How is your water testing? If you don't have a decent calcium demand in your tank (lots of SPS or clams) then i would guarantee dripping kalwasser (lime water) isn't going matter for you. Regular water changes with decent salt will help you maintain those levels.

If your PH is a bit low, can't quite keep your Alk where you want, then I would look into Kent Marine Superbuffer DKH, which is a much easier method for new hobbyists to keep their alk and PH where it should be, without the worry of turning your tank into a snowglobe ;)

We need more info on your tank, and what you're doing with it, or where it's going.

My water testing is: Ammonia-0ppm, nitrite-0ppm, nitrates-20ppm, Alk-4.5..........The LFS told me to drip dose kalkwasser because I wanted to help my coraline algae to grow, and he told me to use this stuff. Right now I dont have anything in my tank except 120lbs of LR, 6 snails, 6 blue leg hermits, 3 damsels. Right now i have PC lights but hoping to upgrade to T-5's soon. Should i not be dosing kalkwasser yet or not at all? The whole reason i bought the kalk is because they were out of purple up and that kalk is basically the same thing. Also i do have all the tests needed to test chemicals. Calcium, alk, etc...........

I wouldn't bother with dosing kalk at this stage of your tank -- it will be way more hassle than it's worth. Usually, coralline will just grow on its own, as long as your calcium, alkalinity and magnesium are in line. It can take several months for it to start, but once it takes off, it doesn't need any special attention. If you are dosing kalk without testing, you risk really hurting your fish -- it's a delicate balance that is hard to achieve without monitoring it.

Thank you guys and gals for all the info. Well im glad i didnt start dosing (this place is like my Reefing Bible.....lol). Well should i keep the kalkwasser for later on down the road or would i not need it? Ill return it if i dont and buy something i do need.

You can add it to your top off water,but it works better to drip it.
But dripping it at night,it will prevent your PH from dropping.It'll also help precipitate phosphates from the water.

Mennazeher,I'd return it for the time being.

I dont think I need it yet but when the frag tank is up and runningim sure ill find a need. What do you use to drip it with?

I got a 1 gallon distilled water jug with a piece of airline tubing siliconed into the bottom.Then a micro-ball valve on the other end to regulate the drip.

dripping or dosing kalk won't really raise your calcium levels in the tank though..... unless you do it in excess.... ALL my topoff (approx 4 gallons per day) is fed thru my kalk stirrer.... so everything I add is kalk water.... PH is the main reason I do it... especially thru the winter.... my tank suffers from "closed house syndrome"..... too much CO2 which drives my PH down... I'm lucky to hit 8.1 in the winter.... If I don't dose kalk.... I won't hit 7.8 and that's at the end of a 10 hour photoperiod....

Back