Is a DI OK for a reef and fish tank

tp1011

Reefing newb
I have just a DI will this be ok for a reef with fish tank i have a 29 biocube i know a RO/DI would be ideal. Your thoughts.

When you mean DI, do you mean just the filter stages with the deionizing resin?
That will be a very expensive long term filter. Without mechanical and chemical prefilters, all the impurities from the water source will plug up the resin and it will be exhausted way too fast it will be impractical.

The RO stages take care of the mechanical and chemical impurities. The DI stage is just a "clean sweep" to remove the remaining 1% to 5% that slipped through the RO stages. It is not meant to be used as a standalone filter.

+1 rock..

If you do not have a RO membrane in front of your DI filter the filter media will not last but a few gallons. It needs to be down to a very few parts per million particles before it hits the DI medial. Yes, that would get very expensive.

What I think would happen is you would not get good purity and then your DI media would be exhausted and you would get even less quality water after that an not even be fully aware of it.

....You need to get a RO filter set to go in front of the DI... (and at the rate it will use up DI media it will be cheaper)

Sounds like the filter we have at work, has the particle, carbon then di but no ro. Can you get a tds reading on your water?

Sounds like the filter we have at work, has the particle, carbon then di but no ro. Can you get a tds reading on your water?

That's a different setup though. In your case, there is still a multilayer mechanical/chemical filter (minus RO membrane) to scrub the water as much as possible before it hits the DI resin.
The primary reason for that kind of setup is to eliminate wastewater.
In industrial applications, even 20% wastewater is a really big deal. So they design systems that do away with the RO membrane altogether.

Back