Input on set up

CountryBoy72

Reefing newb
Looking for some input on this setup that I found locally for sale. Looking to venture into the saltwater, am a newbie. Any info on weather it is quality stuff, what is the pro's and con's of the set-up. Found this complete set-up for sale. Here is a link to the tank.
Complete Salt Water system Outside Nanaimo, Nanaimo

150 gal drilled Salt water tank. Comes with Stand and canopy, 1- T2 light(1 Acqitinic, 1 Coral Life), 100-150 lib live rock, live sand and crushed coral base, 2- Koralia powerheads( 1400 gph), Eshopp Protein Skimmer, a 90gal sump with return pump, separate compartments. Fish= 1Niger Trigger, Rectangular Trigger, Foxface, Regal Tang, Snowflake Eel

Hi, I'm pretty new too, but I can tell you that you will need some more live rock - it should be 1-2lbs per gallon for the tank. You should also have at least one more powerhead, and if you want to do corals you will need more than that. For a FOWLR, you need 20x tank size (150) = 3000gph, and for corals you'll need 40x tank size (150) = 6000gph. I'm sure others will comment on the lights, etc., but figured I'd at least help with that I could!! Good luck to you & welcome :)

Marine tanks need to be setup with very pure water. Most people use Reverse osmosis or DI water from filters BUT I've heard the water coming out of the tap in Vancouver is 10 TDS! (which is pretty damn pure). Just make sure you de-chlorinate it. You can get a TDS tester for about $20 US and it will measure the purity of your water.

Thanks for the input. I am lucky here with water, i am on a well. The only thing we use is a water softening unit, which uses salt because of iron in our water. We have tested our water full spectrum, its great water. Probably going to look at the lfs an see what they have for new set ups, accessories.

Hello and Welcome!

That light will need to be upgraded if you want to do corals, and you will also want to look into replacing the crushed corals as well.

Also the triggers are going to outgrow that tank, they get huge and very aggressive, especially when the tank starts getting small.

I would also be careful using well water, it can still contain all sorts of algae fueling components.

Back