im stuck what do i do?

jonoandhistrigon

Reefing newb
hellooo ive got a juwel trigon 190 currently with tropical fish but wanting to try marine. i need help tho i dont really know what i need apart from a protein skimmer but currently i have 2 fluval 205 external filters and a heater!! so could some one please point me in the right direction and tell me what i need and where i need to drill holes if needed i need all the advice i can get:sfish:i was considering a sump filter just to sit behind my tank as it isnt flush against the wall its in a alcove so if a sump filter is what is more preffered for a marine set-up then agai i need help on how to set it up what i will need and so on thanks a lot

jonathan

Attachments

• DSC00303.webp
    DSC00303.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 370
  • DSC00310.webp
    DSC00310.webp
    33.9 KB · Views: 377
  • DSC00311.webp
    DSC00311.webp
    54.4 KB · Views: 354
  • DSC00282.webp
    DSC00282.webp
    30.4 KB · Views: 419
Thats a very pretty tank...if you want to convert it to marine, you should have these basic things:

Live Rock (preferably 1-2lb per gallon)
Skimmer
Powerheads
Sand (live sand is recommended)
Lights (no special requirement for fish only tanks, but definitely need proper
lights if you plan on keeping corals)

After you set the tank up, fill it with water, you will need to let it go thru the cycle before adding any livestock.

You will need to check for temp, salinity, ammonia, PH, Nitrates, Nitrites on a regular basis.

Good luck.

Cthegame has you covered. You won't be able to use the same filters for saltwater. I mean, you could use them if you clean them very well, but they won't work as well as a protein skimmer.

if i gave the housing a good clean and bought new filter media and also bought a prtein simmer and installed it would that work?? and how long do you ned to leave it for the cycle before introducing fish?? thanks

There are many good articles that have much information that would help you more than the short answers you will commonly receive in the open forum. There is an article or two or three on almost all areas to include equipment, cycling and water testing. Reading some of them will give you the opportunity to ask more specific questions as well as gain more a more complete knowledge of each facet of reefing. Just click on Articles at the top of this page.

There's no set time for how long a cycle takes. You'll need to test your water parameters to know when you're ready for your first fish (and when you are ready, only add one or two). What did you use to cycle the tank? Most people use live rock or some fish food left to rot. Once the tank starts cycling, ammonia will rise, followed by a rise in nitrites. As ammonia and nitrites drop, nitrates will rise. Once ammonia and nitrites are both at zero, your tank is done cycling. Then you should do some water changes to bring the nitrate levels down. This usually takes several weeks.

Back