ID Please.....

messiah023

Reefing newb
Hello everyone.
I put a new rock in my tank a few months back and it had a couple hitchhikers. I am not exactly sure what they are, but I have some ideas, thought I would ask the experts. When I got the rock, these were very, very small....now they are HUGE!

Picture #1. I thought Xenia....
IMG_5346.jpg

Picture #2 & #3 : I am giving you the top & bottom shots of this. I initially thought mushroom or ricorda, but I saw a picture of a caribbean carpet anemone and it looked close.....you guys know, so clue me in.

IMG_5331.jpg

IMG_5334.jpg

First pic i think it might be some kind of polyp...not sure. Second pic i think its some kind of mushroom...also not sure.

Someone here probably will know.

The first is anthelia and not xenia because they are growing as a group of individual polyp.The second is a rhodactis mushroom/anemone or hairy mushrooms is what many like to call them.

I agree with Dominick. Clove polyps and a fuzzy mushroom. both a great beginning corals and will grow like crazy if the tank conditions are good. Great luck!

-Doc

Actually,I had to go back to my coral book for this one.Anthelias and many of the clove/glove polyps belong to the xeniidae family....so everyone is right.

....but most hobbyist do call them clove/anthelia because of there growth pattern and because they don't pulse.

I should buy a coral book. I don't have one. But Reef, you still are still a stud....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

-Doc

Back