I whupped my tank! :)

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
That's a good thing...when I first started posting in October, I had just adopted my brother's tank, my nitrates were over 160ppm. I found my tap had nitrates.

Got the ro/di filter, but kept running out of salt (budget wouldn't allow me to purchase more than 1 small bag for 20 gallons at a time...not to mention wasted salt on my nitrate ridden tap!).

Got my sump, fuge, and skimmer up and running, increased flow around the tank with powerheads. Also put in a purigen pouch in the sump.

And tonight...I made a major water change of around 55% (sorry to the snails and crabs :shock: at least I warmed the water overnight with heaters before doing my change :mrgreen:)...tested my water, and I'm down to 15 ppm!!! Still not at zero, but imagine a tank being 80+ppm for 2 months!!! I ran around the house like a madwoman LOL Ammonia and nitrates are zero, PH is between 8.4-8.8, so yay!

Hopefully I can get it to zero by x'mas and buy me a pair of the clowns that my kids have been whining about, darn that Nemo :D So guys, should my nitrates be absolutely at zero before getting the clowns? Or is around 10-20ppm ok? I don't want to kill the fish after all these false starts LOL

you will hardly ever find a tank down to zero nitrates, but one way to keep them down is when you tank is mature enough add some clams i know people who had water problems and algae problems had some good size clams and tank cleared up quick 0 nitrates, clams filter feed and will lower nitrates, or buy expensive nitrate reactor, we have a guy in our club who can make anything and he has new design and makes his own.

Do clams require special lighting, or anything special? I'm going to check my nitrates in a bit, as well as do a small water changed with my remaining salt. Gotta get more salt...hehehe. Ah well. Maybe next paycheck I will get a large sack of salt (Tropic Marin).

I do the API test, and the orange I'm getting is iffy, based on their color card...the 2 oranges for 20 ppm and 40 ppm seem awfully close, and my orange could look like either depending on which way I look at it :shock: I'll probably do one more 40% water change in a few days just to make sure it's closer to yellow. Overkill?? Paranoid?? I think maybe I'm subconsciously not trying to get fish cuz i'm scared of the next step LOL!!

Need help with the lighting terminology...I know the MH is for the metal halides, right? What are t5's? RIght now, the lighting I have is using marine glow flourescent lighting -- one is just the regular white, the other is blue (I guess "actinic blue spectrum"?)

Ah well. Next tank :) I am learning, guys!! Oddly, I got this tank free....I got the tank, wet/dry w/ bioballs, old pump...but guess what I ended up keeping...the TANK! LOL

Very easy PVC pipe,several feet of hose, bio balls and valves. I'll see if I can find the instructions. My nitrates were 30-40 but after running it for four weeks they fell to 0. They've been there now for 6 months. Plus I don't do water changes as often. I been doing 15 gallons water change every 3 weeks.

Piggy...it would be great if you could post a link if you find it, about how you made the denitrator :) I've seen a few, including using a mesh to let algae grow on it. I was going to do one for my sump, since the light is on in there almost 24/7. I was going to take this plastic mesh that people use for crafting and just putting it against the baffle separating my fuge from my return area.

Back