I went big

dolphins8426

Reefing newb
Just bought a new 48" nova extreme. 8 bulb. Let me know what you think?

Sandeigo003.JPG

I should be able to house pretty much anything i want with that light correct? This thing lights the whole block up. I might have an airplane try and land here. ha

yeah make sure u find out what kind of slug it is first and mak sure its reef-safe also.i once found a baby hairy sea hare on one of my live rocks

Tank seems to be heating up a lot. What should I do. Place some fans on the tank to blow the heat away from the top of the water. Seems like it heats up pretty fast. Whats by best option to keep everything safe...?:frustrat:

You have a glass top on the tank?
I had the same fixture over a 75 gallon with not even a one degree swing.Of course,I had no top on it.Keep SPS corals higher up with those lights and you should be good.Congrats on the lights.

Well,you can buy small wall fans to blow across the water service.Biff has some and I seen them at Lowe's and Walmart.Maybe 10 bucks.

I think it may have been my heater in my tank. I turned it down 2 degrees and I am going to keep an eye on it. I think it might solve my mystery. I should be able to house anything I want in my tank with this light correct?

My metal halides were heating my 240 up by 20 degrees (it hit 96 at the highest, I think). I bought two $7 clip-on fans from Walmart, and now my temperatures stay between 78 and 82. Buy some fans and have them blow across the top of the water.

I turn my heaters down to 72 degrees and let ambient airs temps and lighting take care of the rest. My upstairs 90 hits 78 all the time. My 125 in the basement seems warmer - more like 80. The PC lighting in the 125 seem to heat up the water more than the T-5 upstairs. Turn down your heater to about 72-74 and see what happens.

-Doc

it seems as if each heater has a different setting. Weird, but it is true. You can set two heaters at 75 and one will turn off at 78 and the other at 75. BTW great choice on lights. When I get home from work, I love to see the eerie glow from the living room window as I pull up

-Doc

You'll love those Lights.
I have the same fixture on my 75 and my corals do great under them.
Just be careful and acclimate your corals to the light or you'll bleach them.

Back