how often to feed lionfish

SalteeDogg

Reefing newb
my brother just got a baby lionfish and was told to feed it every two days? Is this about right? Also he was told to feed it ghost shrimp til it got bigger? TIA

Just make sure it gets enough in that feeding to last for 2 days.
Either ghost shrimp,or you might consider acclimating a bunch of feeder guppies to salt water.That way you got a full time food source in the tank.

ok thanks. yeah before my bro got him at the pet store they were feeding him and I think they fed him too much cause when we got him home his stomach was BULGING and he had ghost shrimp whiskers hanging out his mouth for like 4 hours!!! Do these guys ever get used to the light because during the day he just hangs out on the bottom but once the light goes out he's all over the place swimming?

Yeah they are pretty lazy durring the day (light)

I fed mine every day Brine, mysis, Live Brine and so on...
HE ATE EVERYTHING, I had a 10 Gallon Fresh watter tank I kept Ghost shrimp in. I would drop one in every 3 days or so.

His stomach alwayse Bulged when he was good and full. and yes the wiskers hung out of his mouth as well.

What size tank is it in ?
These guys grow rather fast.
heres a PIC of my lion may he RIP.
Fish006-1.jpg

he will be in a 30g for MAX 3 to 4 months and then he will be moving to atleast an 80. Right now he acts like he loves the tank. The maroon clown wont leave his bubble anemone ever since the lionfish came lol.

feed cubed mysis. they have voracious appetites. it will eat whatever is in the tank. I have seen them take in food the same size as their bodies. careful not to overfeed him. every other day is best.

-Doc

Back