How long till RO unit is ready?

Chris_150G

Reefing newb
I finished putting in my RO unit last night and I have run about 10 gallons through it so far. How many gallons did you guys run through yours before you started using it? I have about every water test but the phosphate one. I guess I better get that one today.

My set up is pretty good. I have the water feeding into a trash can with an auto shut off float next to my sump. Then there's a pump in the trash can that can pump directly to my sump. I want to add a switch to that. The down side is that I could only squeeze a 13 gallon can through the stand's doors. So for bigger water changes I'll have to have extra buckets. But my girlfriend isn't going for big containers of water sitting around the kitchen on a regular basis.

The one other thing I want to do is a auto top off. I was thinking of putting a line on the can that is above the sump so the water will gravity feed into the sump, Then I would just put a shut off float in the sump. Would that work?

do you have a tds meter?
and yes you can get float valves that you can puin the sump for an auto top off if you look at my build thread you can see how i did mine. and bulkreefsupply has a realy nice one that hangs in the sump and has a couple safty features but is is about 100 bucks but work it IMO

you can just use a floaty valve in the sump and use gravity to feed it, no problem, purewaterclub.com has float valves on sale this week for $5, i ordered 3 of them with my ro unit just to have extras...

the other thing that you can do is use a small pump and a timer to push the water to the float valve, that way if gravity dosent work for you, you still have options... thats what i did, just cause i have a real problem with the idea of making and breaking contact in a salt water environment, like the "store bought" ato's use...

me thinks this is one of thoes "KISS" things...

Back