How do i reduce the salinity of my water.

phuture1

Reefing newb
hi all. i noticed the salinity of my water has been getting higher. i guess it's due to evap. can i just add fresh water to my sump to reduce it?

Yes , ro water is best... I have read though for more technical terms that salinity of your water that is read by a hydrometer is not a specific reading as it measures all minerals in the water thats what makes the bob float or the needle rise but pay no attention to this if you are just trying to get the salt right in your tank adding fresh water without chlorine should be fine if it is evaporating

always add fresh ro water for toping off. as the water evaps the salt stays the only time you add salt water is for a water loss such as a cleaning of something has flooded but never for toping off the tank. just add fresh water ant the sg will drop

Also, when you're doing water changes, you can make the water a little more salty or less salty than what yours currently is to tweak it. I like to have my sg at 1.024, and if it's edging closer to 1.025, I'll usually make my water mixes at 1.023 until it gets back down.

I'd recommend a refractometer - it is a little pricey, but worth every penny - it lets you get a much more solid reading on your SG and make changes with confidence. You can find them at dr fosters or almost any other supply store.

Back