how big....protein skimmer

I've wondered about that for a while, why if it is rated and tested for a certain tank size would we need double? Shouldn't it work with the size it is tested at? Or are we just being prepared.

I have a 29 gal tank. I have an octo BH-2000 HOB. It is rated for 125 gal. I got this because

1 Octo is a good brand.
2 It is HOB and I need HOB
3 It will go onto a larger tank if and when I got a larger tank
4 It was only 30 more than the BH-1000 rated at 90 gal

Have we just become cynical ? I don't lie and I am now wondering if everyone else is? Maybe I should get out of my Donna Red world and get with the program. Seriously... Does everyone lie on a regular basis? :shock:

I think how they do skimmer ratings is the skimmer working at max effiecency with minimal bioload...most reefers with use neither technique. Buy big and be safe.

Yes but she always has the defense... By-laws Shmy-laws.:mrgreen:

And sorry dcan, I am a firm believer that if someone is trying to sell you something, they will tweak the facts in their favor. Like all those weight loss commercials. Some one loses 100 lbs and in fine print at the bottom of the screen it says, as part of a healthy diet and lots of exercise and results are not typical.

Yes but she always has the defense... By-laws Shmy-laws.:mrgreen:

And sorry dcan, I am a firm believer that if someone is trying to sell you something, they will tweak the facts in their favor. Like all those weight loss commercials. Some one loses 100 lbs and in fine print at the bottom of the screen it says, as part of a healthy diet and lots of exercise and results are not typical.

I'll sell you a Wynn Super Skimmer 8000000. Capable of anything you ask.

Results not typical. Please see a doctor before any skimming action. Skimmer only performs at max capactity with the addition of an Octo skimmer and the Super Skimmer 800000 turned in off mode. Restrictions may apply. Not valid in all states.

Back