hey every1!

fishsticks

No clue about reefs
i was wonder do anemones produce nitrates just like fishes?

and i was wondering are cleaner clams good too? i hear they reduce nitrates. because they are filter feeders.

i have a 29gallon oceanic biocube and i have 2 anemones 2 clowns 1damsel and 1 gobie and they are all about 1 inch in size. i have about 32pounds of liverock in it. and i just ordered my oceanic biocube protein skimmer.

what else can i do to reduce nitrates????????????????????????????? or anything i can buy thats living that helps just wondering im not having a nitrate problem i just wanna minimize it.

doing weekly water changes is the best way to control nitrates ... since you have a 29 gallon tank i would change about 2-3 gallons a week ... usually as a general rule corals do not add to the bio-load of your tank ... anemones on the other hand do shrink up often and expel left overs or digested food

Hey sticks,
Send back that skimmer. I have used one and it's horrible (air stone based). Constant adjustment and a pain in the rear!
I would suggest you invest in the Sapphire skimmer for the BC29.
http://www.petsolutions.com/SR3-Protein-Skimmer-for-Oceanic-BioCube+I46307581+C43.aspx

It's a bit pricey compared to the one you bought, but it's not a plastic toy like the air stone skimmer.

FYI....the air stones need to be replaced monthly (in the Oceanic manual). Petco has the stones for 6 buck a pair...... after a year of replacing stones, the sapphire is almost paid for!

Just my opinion from my personal experience. Good luck!

Anemones do poop so in a sense they can lead to nitrates.Although,I believe it is much,much less than what fish do.Cleaner clams are use by some for nitrate reduction.IMO, in reality,I don't think clams actually put a dent in nitrate reduction.

Water changes and consistent water changes is always the best bet.

Back