Help with red algae ID?

mng777777

Shark Wrangler Wannabe
Once again I have something new popping up in my reef and would like to know what it is but I cannot tell for sure from the pictures I have found online. It is a deep/dark red color and is fuzzy. It is growing in small groups on several of my Live Rocks. It almost looks like the start of little SPS corals. I found several pics of some types of red turf algae and was nearly content thinking that's what I had, but the turf seems to grow outward and cover the rock whereas mine is growing upward equally to or exceeding its rock coverage. I am not concerned by it as it seems relatively harmless, but am just curious. The fun of a new tank for me so far has been watching all the new things grow and then figuring out what they are and whether i want to let them continue to live in my reef or not. Thanks for your help,
Justin

I spent a while messing with the camera settings but have had limited success getting shots of it due to it's small size. It seems that if I am right near the glass then the camera will not properly focus but if I pull away then I have to zoom too far and it's real grainy. None-the-less, here are the best of the pics I could get of two different pieces. The larger one has a bit of sand on it from some adjustments i made yesterday when adding some more flow with my new MJ 1200's which makes it even harder to get anything valuable from the pics. sorry. I will try some more and particularly if the stuff continues to grow. The main features of it that threw me off a bit are the fact that it's fuzzy like velvet and its growing upward like a coral. I will post more if I have any better luck with the camera tomorrow. THX
Justin

Larger piece P1030614.webp Smaller piece P1030611.webp

Last edited:
I think I am going to have to find a way to get better pics. Isn't Cyano slimy and bubbly, and almost transparent? This stuff is solid/thick and has no slime at all.

My brother, cousin, uncle?
Thanks. I was pretty sure it wasn't cyano, I was thinking more along the lines of coralline or turf but didn't think either grew upward. Whatever it is, it's a welcomed addtition at this point. If it gets out of control I'll post again but using ALL CAPS and then we can sound the sirens. :D
Justin Daugherty

Hmm... I googled the pictures of botryocladia and it looks to be a thin stock plant with leaves and/or bubbles and seems translucent like most algae. Mine is a thick stock with no leaves, just a thin layer of fuzz, and light cannot shine through it. It looks nice actually... I I have decided to name it Black Velvet and I am going to start splitting and selling it. Don't miss this opportunity to stock your tank with the rare beauty of Black Velvet. It is being offered for a limited time only at 799.89 / Frag. You will never again see it offered this cheap, so act fast!

That would be awesome if it is Yote. THX!

Update: In light of new information received, the Black Velvet is no longer available for purchase...You'll missed out. Should have snatched it up while I still thought it was Algae! :D:nanananan:evil!?!?::nanananan

Back