HELP with Lighting

Reefster

Reefing newb
New to saltwater and reef. have 90g tank. what lights to use? I would like to use LED, but lfs had no-name, no docs set that made me nervous to buy. His tanks looked good, but believe I should go with a brand.

48" width and 2' depth tank. should i just go with T5

Hello and Welcome!

LED lighting is the future of reef lighting, but i too would be wary of knock-off brands because there are lots of cheap imitations out there just riding on the LED high. If he has used that light over his personal tank for 6+ then it might be safe to buy it, but if its just over the frag tanks im not sure i would trust it because the corals dont spend much time with those lights.

But if you do want to go with t5 lighting i highly suggest this light, it will let you keep anything you want
Aquarium Lighting for Reef Systems: Current Nova Extreme Pro T-5 Fixtures

this is from the EcoRay site:
"-a tank 4 feet wide by 20” front to back width, would use 4 Ecoray 60Ds with the short side facing the front"

Your tank is 18in wide but, I'd assume you'd need the same amount though.

Since I am just starting the tank, would it be ok to just start with two of these lights in the middle and then expand a the tank expands?

Absolutely, the only thing I think you'd notice is that you'd have some very dark areas in your tank.

I have the Ecoray 60d over my tank...and from my understanding, one fixture is suitable for a 24x 24 inch area, so you may be ok with just two of them.

Back