Help Me Pick A New Light

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
I'm getting more light for my 24" tank. I know somebody is going to ask me what types of stuff I intend to keep in the tank. My answer is--anything I want--I don't want lights to be my limitation. I want to be able to put any invert in my tank that I want, and not have an issue with lighting.

THIS is what I have on the tank right now. Not enough light. 130w of power compact in a 24" fixture.
Compact Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: Coralife Aqualight Double Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights

These are the ones I've been eyeballing.
This is STUPID cheap:
24" 380W Metal Halide Aquarium Light New - (eBay item 130151605440 end time Sep-14-07 19:05:36 PDT)

This is 100w less and about 2.5 times the price.
Reef Aquarium Lighting: Outer Orbit HQI/Compact Fluorescent/Lunar Fixture

100w less and 2.5 times the price.
Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting: Aqualight Pro HQI/Compact Fluorescent/Lunar Light Fixture

Now, I realize there is a risk of buying a Chinese light (ebay) --but who says they ALL aren't made in China?

I could just buy one of these and clamp it on the side of the tank. But, it's as much as the ebay light.
Aquarium Lighting for Nano Reef Aquariums: Viper HQI Metal Halide Clamp Lamp

Not crazy about this. I want something that will sit on top of the tank. I don't want to drill holes and mount stuff in the ceiling to hang this particular unit.
Aquarium Lighting for Reef Aquariums: Current Sundial Pendant HQI & Compact Fluorescent Fixture

nova extreme!
NOVA Extreme 24" T-5 Fixture 4 x 24W by Current USA - AquaCave
great price compared to something like this
TEK LIGHT T-5, 24" Light Fixture 4 x 24W lamps by Sunlight Supply* - AquaCave
and its the same wattage, granted not humungus wattage but its low heat, and you can definately do sps corals in the higher end of your tank if you want so there are not a whole lot of limitations.
from the looks of it you probably will not be down, but i would say if money isnt a big deal go with the one on dr fosters and smith because the extra couple bills are worth way more than saving some cash and going through the nightmare of a potential house fire. better safe than sorry ya know

oh and if you get lights that bright it will not be suitable to house an octopus though neither will a 30 gal so your not limited there becasue of the tank you already have :) ah i just had to throw an octo in there

nova extreme!
NOVA Extreme 24" T-5 Fixture 4 x 24W by Current USA - AquaCave
great price compared to something like this
TEK LIGHT T-5, 24" Light Fixture 4 x 24W lamps by Sunlight Supply* - AquaCave
and its the same wattage, granted not humungus wattage but its low heat, and you can definately do sps corals in the higher end of your tank if you want so there are not a whole lot of limitations.
from the looks of it you probably will not be down, but i would say if money isnt a big deal go with the one on dr fosters and smith because the extra couple bills are worth way more than saving some cash and going through the nightmare of a potential house fire. better safe than sorry ya know

Dude, those are even LESS light than I have already. I'm not looking to go with LESS light. I want MORE.

I hear ya about the house fire. I'm always looking for a deal, but a couple hundred bucks in savings won't even pay the deductable after the fire. :shock:

so red if i get 56 wats of t5 on my ten gal i can keep sps at the top :bounce:

Thanks for the hijack. :grumble:

If ya don't have a good recommendation about MY new lights and MY tank-- do me a favor and start your own thread.

sorry rc heres the lights im getting it may help
go on ebay and type in 24" t5 ho aquarium light 55 $
also try aqautraders

i know its less light but i like em :) thats why i just told you to go with the dr fosters light. it looks good. but if you could see the difference in a high output t5 to a pc light it really is a big difference even if its the same watts. only thing ill ever use pc for anymore is my octopus tank

Just because the watts are lower don't mean it's going to put out less light. Thats the thing about t-5s they use less watts and put out more light, and less heat. A good set of t-5 with individual reflectors can house anything you want.

Alot of people are switching over from halide to t-5 beacuse they cost less to run, give off less heat, and give just as much light. A great choice IMO

I know the ones I just sold that were on my 55 were very bright. It was a 6 bulb fixture and lit the whole tank up.

Hey RC here is a link to a thread about someone who is asking for peoples advice on if he should change from MH to t-5. A good read and will give you a better idea about them.

Now if you got money to burn you should check out the solara lights. They're all LED run super low heat, are just as good if not better than MH, and last for like 14 years before they need replaced, but I think they're like 3 or 4 grang just for a 48" light.

I'm going to agree with Red and Bobby.
You can take that light the Red posted,and keep any thing you want under it in your tank.
The thing about halides is you have got to change the bulbs every 6 to 8 months.At 100 bucks a bulb,thats gonna add up pretty quick.With T-5s,you replace the bulbs every 12 to 18 months.T-5s dont put out any where near the heat that halides do.
In short,you can take the light Red suggested and keep any coral or anemone you want and save money on electricty and bulb replacement at the same time.

Back