Help! How to make a sump?

Golden Designer

Reefing newb
Hi everybody

i am a new member, so i want to say hello for each member of this nice forum

i have just bought a new protein skimmer and external filter

but i don't know how to make a sump to to my aquarium..

i need help from you guys

protein skimmer :
boyu_skimmer1.JPG

boyu_skimmer2.JPG

boyu_skimmer3.JPG

external filter:
ex.filter_1.JPG

ex.filter_2.JPG

ex.filter_3.JPG

ex.filter_4.JPG

also, i want to know what is needed for sump>> water pump?.....

:shock: good luck

for you flowers,

return the power filter its a nitrate trap, and turn a smaller tank into a sump using glass or acrylic baffles... theres lots of skimatics on here and all over the internet.
good rule is sump in line-protein skimmer-refugium-return line

Hi and welcome to the site! There are lots of threads in the DIY forums about building your own sump. Here is one recent one that contains pictures and drawings.

https://www.livingreefs.com/my-attempt-building-sump-t28137.html

For a basic sump, you will need another tank -- it can be a used tank. Then you will need to use silicone to glue in glass or plexiglass baffles to divide the tank into different sections. The most basic sump design contains 2 or 3 different sections. One for your equipment (like skimmer), the second (optional) for a refugium, and the third for a return pump.

thanks for your replies

then , no need for external filter if i use sump?

and i dont know how set up my protein skimmer .. h3

is it ok for use in sump?

my best wishes

If you use a sump, you don't need to use an external filter. The protein skimmer will be good enough, and the protein skimmer can be used in the sump.

Did the protein skimmer come with any other parts? It should have a pump.

You can do that too. The external filter will have to be cleaned often -- once every week or two. They require more maintenance than skimmers.

Well, if you want to use the skimmer you will need to buy a pump for it. You can either hang that off the back of your tank, or build a sump for it. Either way, the sump is optional. The easiest thing to do would be to use the external filter that you bought, and keep it clean.

Back