Help fast!!!

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
I was just told that there is a utility problem in my neighborhood and my electricity and water will be turned off for "several hours" any min. now. I've got HOB skimmer and filter so I think I'll be in good shape. Is there anything else I can do to make sure everyone is ok? Thanks,
Catherine

If its just going to be turned off for several hours you should be fine. The biggest concern is the water just sitting there. If you have a little battery thing I would suggest using that for atleast a powerhead to make sure the water isnt just sitting there.

Thanks, the truck just went by so I think it's about to go. I'll check from my phone in a bit if anyone has any other advice I would appreciate it! I've got everything off and a wool blanket covering my tank because I imagine it's about to get awfully cold in here. Hope this is done before dark! I don't have a battery thing, but I can swish the water every now and then. Thanks!!!

I accidentally left my powerheads off for 9 hrs over night and there wasn't any problems. If your electricity goes off wouldn't your skimmer and filter go off as well?

For a few hours, it'll be okay. Any longer than that, start worrying about temp dropping and stagnant water (= lack of oxygen). Short of buying a generator, there really isn't anything you can do about it though :(

i just had a power outage for a day and a half recently. Heated up some RO water with propane :) and manually steered the water for circulation.

You should be fine for just a few hours.

The electric came back on just after 5:00. The tank did loose some heat but everything seems ok! Hope nothing got too stressed! Thanks for the advice and assurance.

Catherine

Back