Heater

drm180

Reefing newb
I have a heater for my 29 gal tank. I have a Hagen Elite Radiant, 150 watt. Does that sound alright. Room temp. is about 72. I'm not sure about the temp in the tank though. I haven't picked out my fish or corals.

Not that I know that much about this, but do you have a thermometer? That way you can know the temp of your tank! I have one in each of my tanks I check it daily!

In my opinion, a thermometer is a must-have. :) I have a TOM Aquarium Temp Alert thermometer...it was fairly inexpensive and it beeps to warn you if your temperture is too low. It also has a feature so you can see your temperature range in the last 24 hours. It's great.

Oh yeah. I would never go without a thremometer. I don't trust any of the heaters themostats. This heater is a hang on one so I was wondering if a submersible would be better. I've never used either. The one in my freshwater go in the tank and hooks onto the glass with a suction cup. It is not fully submursible though.

I have submersible hang on with suction cups on all of my tanks (FW and SW). I also have two thermometers in each of my tanks. One closer to the surface and one closer to the bottom.

I just let my floating glass hydrometer/thermometer float around in the tank. I have instant access to it by simply pressing my nose against the glass and reading the temp. It's a very sophisticated piece of equipment. :shock: :mrgreen:

Does the Hagen Elite have a light that comes on and off when the heater is cycling? A good way to tell if a heater is sized ok is to keep an eye on the light. If it seems to always be on or on most of the time it is a good sign that the heater may be too small for the tank. If a heater is sized right it only has to turn on every so often to maintain temperature. You do need to know what your actual temperature is. If your heater has a control knob with temperatures on it they are almost always wildly inaccurate. They may get you "in the ballpark" but you have to adjust from there.

Back