Heater dilemma

Angelajean

I know that I don't know
Hi,
I have a heater issue. I have 2 Fluval Heaters that I would like to use in my new 90 gallon reef ready tank, but I am not fond of them being visible in the tank. I cannot put them in the sump because they need like 9" water minimum in the tank.

Anyone have any ideas where I could put them? Can I put them in the compartment with the plumbing? Or am I stuck buying a fully submersible heater for the sump and if so how many watts? I do not fully understand the heating thing between the 2 tanks. The sump will have about 20 or so gallons in it. It's a 40 gallon tank.
Thanks,
Angie

I had one of those, on the body of the heater there is a min/max water line on it. They are submersible but, I don't believe the portion where the wire comes out from the top is also submersible. You may just need to get a new fully submersible heater for it.

So is this correct I need 5 watts per gallon of water? So I would need a 450+ watts of heater?

Does putting all your heating in the sump distribute it throughout the sump and DT?

Thanks for your help.
I so appreciate it.

I'm not sure about those numbers, It is better to run 2 medium sized heaters as opposed to one large one. But, when I was running my 75 with a 55g sump, I only had a 200w heater and my tank was always a consistent 80 degrees. Yes, putting the heater in your sump will distribute the heat around.

+1 BL. I like the titanium heaters. IMO, they are better than glass heaters. I have had every brand of glass heater fail on me. Have had my Finnex one for years. Hasn't caused any problems.

Back