Halide flickering???

SonicGT02

Reefing newb
I have become a bit confused lately. I have a Current Outer Orbit HQI/T5 48" light with 2-250 watt Halides and 4-T5's for a total of 729 watts. About a month ago I came home from work to find the Halide on the right side blinking like a strobe light. I turned off the drive to that light and turned it back on and it was fine the rest of the day. It has happened now 6 or 7 times, but not in the last week or so. Well, today the left Halide started to strobe. I turned off the drive and turned it back on and it was fine for about 2hrs and started to do it again! I'm sure it drives the fish and corals crazy when this happens.

I've only had the light for about 2 or 3 yrs, so wouldn't thing the drives are worn out. The sit out in the open, so I wouldnt think they are over heating. The drives are cool to the touch. Any thoughts??

hmmm.... the current outer orbit ballasts for that fixture are electronic, right?

How many times have you changed the MH bulbs in that fixture in the fixture in the last 2-3 years? more importantly, how old are the current bulbs?

I haven't had a good look at the ballasts on those, are there removable fuses you could get at?

I have (and yote, too I think) these lights in a 60" version. I've only had them about 4 months and I had one of the "white" T5s go out. I thought they were of higher quality, but I have now heard they are not by some on here. I hope this is not true! Please keep us posted.

Could it just be the bulbs? Have you replaced them?

The MH bulbs were changed about a year ago. And yes, they are electronic and do have fuses that I can get to. I didn't think of the fuses, since all I had to do was turn them off and then back on. I will say that I truely love the light that this fixture puts out!! I did a lot of research before I dropped that kind of coin! Everything that I had read was all positive.

well i would really suggest changing out those bulbs. you're due for new bulbs anyways, might as well see if that will fix your problem....

what bulbs are you using now?

I just got some Phoenix 14K from Nathan and I really like them. Check with him. He has great pricing and fast delivery! Oh by the way THANKS NATHAN!

Back