GSP bailout

RockStacker

Reefing newb
I knew I should not have gotten a GSP frag :)

About two weeks ago I bought a 1"x1" swatch of GSP frag and placed it in a spot where I want it to spread.
Last week it started disintegrating and I just wrote it off as a coral death under my care.

Well, this morning as I was checking the tank I see several patches of GSP (each patch was between 1 to 3 heads) fully open and attached to rocks - in places where I had planned for future additions. I even see GSP polyps sticking out of the sand bed.

A different GSP did this to me years ago too during my tank's previous setup. I had GSPs growing everywhere including the side wall and parts of the filter intake tubes.

I guess these guys really have no regard for their reefer's master plans lol. At least it is not aiptasia ha!.

Hey could be worse - could be caulerpa ;)

Been there, done that...
DSC_0527.jpg

I knew I should not have gotten a GSP frag :)

About two weeks ago I bought a 1"x1" swatch of GSP frag and placed it in a spot where I want it to spread.
Last week it started disintegrating and I just wrote it off as a coral death under my care.

Well, this morning as I was checking the tank I see several patches of GSP (each patch was between 1 to 3 heads) fully open and attached to rocks - in places where I had planned for future additions. I even see GSP polyps sticking out of the sand bed.

A different GSP did this to me years ago too during my tank's previous setup. I had GSPs growing everywhere including the side wall and parts of the filter intake tubes.

I guess these guys really have no regard for their reefer's master plans lol. At least it is not aiptasia ha!.

There was a time when I had to cut back my GSP all the time and even throw some of it out, although controlling GSP has never been a huge problem. Then about a year ago it started extending less and less when the lights were on. It stopped spreading too. Someone pointed out that my Yellow Zoas, just upstream, were probably the problem. I put a rock barrier between them and then the GSPs started perking up. The 3 day power outage killed off the last of my GSP.

GSPs have a powerful sting and usually they win against most other corals but the Zoas DO trump GSPs and others have had the same experience.

Are there any zoas or any corals upstream of your GSP? Also, GSP needs strong light like MHs.

Back