Green algae dillema

natan

Reefing newb
I'm in Day 20 of cycling process. The lightest side of the tank is overgrown with green algae (which has replaced brown algae). My nitrites and nitrates are peaking. Given that green algae 'feed' on nitrates is it wise to remove them at least form the glass? How dangerous are nitrates (I know about nitrites) and how to control them after the tank is cycled?

Thanks

PS: Does anyone know about Mardel Live NH3 test? Mine never indicated any ammonia.

I never run my lights during the cycling process. You don't want to add any livestock or algae eaters until your nitrites are at "0" or you will be killing them. Once your nitrites are down to zero do a 25% water change to get your nitrates down and you can add a fish.

Nitrates effect corals and can kill them, but numbers higher than 20-30ppm can start to make life difficult for fish.

-Doc

Marco is right, the most sure fire way to control nitrates is water changes, and you want to aim to keep them as close to 0 as possible, and not any higher than 20. Inverts are sensitive to nitrates, fish not so much.

Thanks for the advice. All this being considered, do you think it wise to remove the green algae from the glass? (My 2 shrimp are still alive and they may have a chance to survive this last lag of cycling...)

I too had a layer of ugly green algae covering my sand. I put two red clawed hermit crabs in my tank just as the cycling was ending.
They were large, each the size of a child's fist. The picked up every single, solitary pebble and grain of sand, twirled it in their mouths cleaning all the algae off before dropping it back down. A month later the sand was white as snow although one of them killed the other. I took the last one back to the store yesterday because they were attacking my turbo snails.

Back