Grassy Alge

Sibbie

Reefing newb
I have a lot of grassy type alge growing around my tank. i have been told to reduce my phosphates! How do I do that?

there are a few different ways to reduce the phosphates but I would try to find out why you are getting higher levels.
What kind of water are you using? how much and what kind of foods are you feeding? what is your lighting? I see the tank is about 9 months if it is t5 lighting the bulbs may need replacing( the last two can be part of a hair algae bloom also)..
As far as treatments for it you could put a sump with refugium on and use chaeto or you can get a reactor and run a chemical like phosbban or such.. but trying to find the source would be my suggestion....

Wow, I really have no idea on half of what you said but thats why I have joined the forum.
I will check the packageing I have for the lights. I only change the tubes approximately 2 months ago as I smashed one and I wasn't sure which of the two colours it was!
I have a protein skimmer on my tank and a Flu-val filter system. I have the light on the tank set on a timer for approx 8hrs a day and have it covered other times as it is a very bright room.
I feed a flake food to my two Cromis fish twice a day. They usually eat all of what I put in which is the smallest pinch. I only add coral food FUEL once a fortnight. and once a week I feed a small amount of thawed brine shrimp.

one I would get rid of the fluval system ( hold onto it and use it for running something like carbon or phosban or such when needed just throw the chemical in a mesh bag and run it when needed), they are a known problem in saltwater tanks, they are mainly for a freshwater setup and will lead to nitrate issues if not cleaned regularly.. I would also not use the flakes for food they are known for phosphate trouble, change over to a quality frozen food... There are 2 bulbs in the fixture? it may not be enough light for the corals you have in the tank. If t5 you are probably going to need a 4 bulb fixture but would need more details on what lighting it actually is..

I am using my own rain water and adding Prime (Seachem) then Marine Buffer (seachem) and Marine Salt (Seachem). Mix it and then let it sit before siphoning it in slowly. I usually do a small 15lt water change a week. I am not sure if I am reading the salt levels properly. Would it be usual that over time less salt per liter would need to be added to the new water as there would be a higher salt content in the tan due to evaporation? The local fish store does not supply water here. I use purigen in my fluval system.

Back