Getting Closer

TangLove

Reefing newb
I have now got 30 lbs. of live rock in my tank. I am still waiting on my new test kit to arrive, that way I can learn how to use it and check my levels. The LFS told me they could sale me some bacteria in a bottle, but I think I will just keep to the live sand and live rock. I dont think it would work much anyway. My question is, with having what I currently have in my tank, how long would it take to start a cycle? Im not in no hurry I just dont want to start checking anything before I should. I know it wont hurt anything, I just would like to keep an observation on things as tehy are happening so that I know what is going on.

Your cycle starts when your ammonia starts showing up when you test your water.
Im also just started cycling my tank with live rock,and plan on testing every other day.

actually you need to check things your cycle consists of param spikes then when they go down to zero your cycle is over at that point you want to add slowly so your bacteria colonies can form to take care of whats in there at that time.

I only check mine if I have fish cycling the tank once every 2 to 3 days. If I dont have fish in I check once every other week.

I have made a start on my fish list. Can you all help me make sure that everything is all right and see if I would be able to add more? I dont plan on adding fish for a while but when I do I want to make sure I put the right ones in first. So far I have decided on a pygmy cherub angel, yellow clown goby, copperband butterfly, 2 ocellaris clowns (or one). I still want to add a blenny and my cleaner crew. Will this be too much for my 55?

I think there a chance of the goby and blenny fighting each other. Not sure though I might be wrong. I'm sure someone else will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong and give you advise on the others. Good luck.

really it just depends There actually close in family I have had a lawnmower bleeny and a clown goby and a diamond watchman goby in the tank at the same time and they done fine.

Yeah thats why I said I think. I thought I read somewere that if they have the same shape body the might fight.

My lawmn mower thinks hes a holstine calf.He never bothers anything but what little algae he can find. hes a pest when its time to do a water change to.

Shhhhh.....you all are making it so hard for me to be patient. lol. Just joking! I really cant wait to be able to just buy my first fish. But I know that its much better to be patient and wait the to buy one and it kick the bucket because of my ignorance. Thanks

Back