Flow without powerheads??

HeavyHittah

LivingReefs is like home
Im planning on having a 75 RR. But is the only way to achieve flow is through powerheads? i dont really like the look of them, so is there any other way to get flow without PH's??

If you plumb you return right,you can get quiet a bit of flow there.You can also set up a closed loop system which uses an external pump and a few hole drilled into the tank.
I'll let Fatman explain all that.

Like yote said you can do it with an external pump and do a closed loop. I use power heads but a closed loop looks better because there will be no powerheads in the tank. You deffinetly nee flow though, either way you go.

Is it just the aesthetics of the powerheads that you don't like? I was checking out a tank of a local guy, and he had some custom DIY foam rock built around his powerheads.

It looks like a rock with a spinning propeller in it.

I think its deja vu.
It can be done, it is easy but time consuming. Each hole takes about ten minutes to drill through half inch thick glass, and you should consider 5 or 6 holes. The glass hole saws are readily available cheap. It only takes a variable speed drill of a chuck capacity of at least 3/8 inch. And a battery powered battery works best because they can be dialed down to a low speed and they have built in clutches which keep you putting to much pressure on the drill. You would use one pump for the sump return and a separate pump(s) for the dedicated circulation loop(s). If you do an exceptional job and always keep your fingers crossed you might get a consistent 600 to 700 gallons of water through your predrilled bulkheads to your sump. This means you will need at least 800 to 900 more gallons circulating through your closed loop. And that is for a fish tank mainly with live rock and maybe a few corals. If you want a heavy load of fish and/or coral you should consider circulation loop(s) pumping around 1500 gallons. This should be done preferably though four return lines fed by one pump, or better through two pumps for redundancy back up purposes. The holes for pump(s) feed and returns can all be on the back wall. Return loop lines can be at varied heights in the tanks back wall to improve circulation depending on what type or live rock aquas caping you think you would like. Adjustable nozzles can be put on all returns, and would only be a inch outside diameter nozzle protruding into tank 1 inch. Check out the site Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff for the price of the hole saw bits and for encouragement. Their prices are cheap even for bulkheads and they answer all emails even on weekends. It is owned by a reefer who is a mechanical engineer with designs plastic equipment and parts for a medical equipment manufacturing company. Therefore he custom makes acrylic plastic overflows and stuff for reef tanks. There is quite a bit of plumbing involved but it is all straight forward. One of these days I will create a full write up with drawings for the article section.

And one of these days I will quit taking more classes, but there are still 10 more classes in my chosen field of engineerings I haven't yet taken, unfortunately they are all 600 level classes and I can only get free government funding for 4 more masters level classes without applying for a masters degree and writing a thesis or completing some insane project and that would still mean pretending to pursue a Ph.D.
And one of these days I will grow up.

I know I can declare academic bankruptcy and start all over again.

Hey, spring break is almost over, school starts again on Monday.

Last edited:
Is it just the aesthetics of the powerheads that you don't like? I was checking out a tank of a local guy, and he had some custom DIY foam rock built around his powerheads.

It looks like a rock with a spinning propeller in it.

:shock: Looked like pooh. Who wants to put urethane foam in a marine reef tank?
:frustrat: The same people who buy those sunken treasure chests, castles, mermaids and underwater lights for their marine tank I suppose. :bounce:

Back