Fish/Sand

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
I am a newbie to this. Why do the fish put there body into the sand and flap there fins real fast to kind of dig in the sand? It pisses me off because they dig little holes mainly on the corner of my tank making it look like shit. I have been moving the sand back in the hole, maybe they will get the idea.

Any thoughts?

You only have damsels right? If so I dont know why, mine never did that. There are some fish that dig, and live in the sand like gobys.

not that I am aware of, something doesnt sound right about that. Mine have never done that. And I currently have two maroons and I have raised the blue terrors. What is your temp? Do they show any signs of stress??

Last edited:
Do you have any rock in your tank? I have heard of fish rubbing against rock if they have a parasite. Examine them closely and see if they have white specs on them or any other irregularity.

My sebaclown digs like that. She puts her nose up against the rock that her BTA has attached to and sends sand flying. Reckon its just her way ofcleaning house.

JellyMan said:
not that I am aware of, something doesnt sound right about that. Mine have never done that. And I currently have two maroons and I have raised the blue terrors. What is your temp? Do they show any signs of stress??

80 degrees. And no, they don't show any irregular signs.

Last edited:
Haha, they are no longer in my hands. I always had the intentions of getting rid of the two, they came with the tank when I bought it. My friend which owns a small fish store gave me store credit for the maroon clown and the damsel and I bought two young Percula Clowns. I told him about the behavior and he said he would keep an eye out. So, hopefully they will be ok.

Back