First tank setup

twps

Reefing newb
I've got my new (used) 46G bow front setup. It came with 30lbs LS and 56lbs LR, and a little water, maybe a gallon.
It's home setup and filled with water. It's been running since Friday evening. I installed protein skimmer and a couple power heads, heater and a T5, which I ran for 24hrs straight before putting it on a timer.
I cleaned the protein skimmer filter today, is was pretty dirty. I noticed when looking in the tank and towards the top of the water, there appears to be a clear film on the water. Any ideas what this could be? Dust?
What's the next step? I'm going on vacation in a few weeks and don't want to have anything in there that depends on a daily feeding, as I'll be gone for a week. Should I put some crabs and snails in there while I'm away?

That film will happen if you don't have enough water movement at the surface. Do you have your powerheads at the top? They should be high enough up that they are causing some turbulence at the air-water interface.

Also, the protein skimmer will be most effective if it's drawing water from the surface of the tank. It will pull all that gunk up.

I wouldn't add any crabs or snails. They may starve to death, or if your tank hasn't cycled yet, they could die from ammonia or nitrite poisoning.

While you are gone, I'd just let it run with the rock, water and sand, all the equipment on, except no lights. Leave the lights off the whole time that you're gone.

Yeah like biff says leave the lights off, that one was one mistake I made when starting off my tank, that along with not good water flow caused 2 massive hair algae plagues, man that stuff is ugly and hard to get rid of. Yeah definitely go invest in several good powerheads for your tank. Also, you are using RO/DI (purified not tap water) water for making salt water I hope??

+1 Biff.
Enjoy your vacation while you still can.:mrgreen: Next years vacation,you'll think worry about your tank untill you get back home.:shock:

Back