First refuge-need advice

madlynb

madtaz
I just recently rebuilt my sump and included a section towards a refugium. I have sump water being fed into the refuge from a T off of the return pump. I put black sand, shells and a handful of caulerpa into it. The water overflows the divider and feeds into the return pump section. I haven't seen much "activity" in the refuge. The caulerpa hasn't grown. The new sump was installed on 5/9/09. Any suggestions on how to get my refuge going? :grumble::mrgreen:

What are your water parameters at? If your tank is already low in nitrates and phosphates, then there isn't much for the macroalgae to "feed" off of, so it won't grow noticeably. That's not a bad thing. It means your water was already good to start off with.

And what kind of lights do you have over your fuge?

My parameters are ph 8.21; temp 77.4;ammonia 0; nitrate 5; nitrite 0; salinity 1.022. I have a clip on light fixture w/hood and a Helical 10W spiral CF. It turns on shortly after my actinic/halides go off. It stays on for 6.5 hrs. in sump

My parameters are ph 8.21; temp 77.4;ammonia 0; nitrate 5; nitrite 0; salinity 1.022. I have a clip on light fixture w/hood and a Helical 10W spiral CF. It turns on shortly after my actinic/halides go off. It stays on for 6.5 hrs. in sump

Your salinity is low. I would increase it to 1.024-26

Anybody correct me if im wrong but shouldnt the water feeding the refugium come off the IN line into the sump before it goes through the skimmer?

it does not really matter since usually there is enough flow in the water that i skimmer cant clean all of it by the time it passes through back to the tank.

the only bad thing about caulerpa is that it goes asexual as people call it when it does this it makes a mess of water quality all its nutrients it has been taking out of the water is now back in the water. and all the caulerpa is dead. cheto is the best to use. since it does not have the mass die like caulerpa will

I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner. Have had some family challenge this week that needed my attention. Anyways, both of my OT's drain into the skimmer section of sump. Water passes thru 3 baffles into the return pump section. Refuge is fed water from a T connected to return pump. I have ball valve in refuge adjusted to allow enough water to enter refuge and allow for it to overflow into return pump section.

Back