First Disaster any advice

biodarwin

Reefing newb
So I unhooked my skimmer and HOB filter to hang my new background, a black shower curtain, using velcro to attach it to the tank. This works well incase anyone wants to know.

Now for the diaster. My protein skimmer doesn't have a collection cup, it uses a hose that collects the scum and sends it down to a jug. For whatever reason, my skimmer didn't return the water into the tank, but spit it out this tube. Luckily I just got done doing a water change so I had my trash can right next to the tank. I'd say I probably lost 5 gallons of water. I cycled the skimmer and it started working fine again, but it blew a bunch of crap back into the water.

Now its 7pm on a Sunday night, I just used up all of my water and my tank is 5 gallons empty. My first thought was to run to walmart and grab some distilled water to fill the tank back up. Obviously this will jack with my salinity so I chose to post here and ask instead. My refractometer wont be delivered until Wed so I can't even tell what is going on with the salt content of the water. I can't get to the store to get more saltwater until tomorrow at 2pm. What should I do?

nothing, wait till tomorrow and add the new water. Your tank will be fine for a day. Just keep the powerheads running

If you've got a hydrometer handy,check the salinity with it.If its close,just leave it be with the lights off untill you can get more salt and water.If the salinity is high,then adjust with distilled.
Tip
Always buy more salt when the container is half empty:mrgreen:

What about my HOB filter? Now that the water is low there is a big drop off for the water leaving the filter. The only other thing moving water in the tank right now is a skimmer. I have 2 koralia #3's waiting at my office tomorrow for me to pick up. Should I just go get them? Im mostly worried about the oxygen levels in the water or am I being too paranoid here.

If you can get to the Koralias tonight,I'd go get em and get em running.Still water kills more tanks than anything else.

I strongly agree with the above post...circulate the water for air and gas exchange, and wait till tomorrow for more water...you should be ok!

Back