finally got metal halides but curious if 14,000k would be better

d.french

Reef enthusiast
finally upgraded lights and added some more carib sea reaf rock but would i still have same coral growth if i switched halide bulbs from 10,000k to 14,000k i like the a little more blue color than what i have i have in light setup 4 96 watt blue actnic 460nm/420nm, and 3 150 watt powerpaq 10,000k hqi double end halides.

IM000659.JPG

thanks for link i got premium aquatics on bookmark havent bought anything from them yet but some guys from local rc club recommended them since there not to far and good prices on shipping for live orders. is there any quality difference between name brands.

oh yea... colors are diff, PAR ratings, etc....

I have seen some 14k bulbs that are way bluer or whiter than what I would consider 14k...

bkv1997 said:
oh yea... colors are diff, PAR ratings, etc....

I have seen some 14k bulbs that are way bluer or whiter than what I would consider 14k...

so phoenix has the better par rating of them all? how about xm's?

I can't comment on any bulbs but the following.

AB 10k
AB 20k
Blueline 15k
Geismenn MegaChrome 14.5k
Pheonix 14k

Of all those I like the Pheonix the best at (65$) a bulb versus (130) for the megachrome, but the Geismenn Bulb would be next on my list of good bulbs.

kimoy said:
so phoenix has the better par rating of them all? how about xm's?

We were talking about DE bulbs powered by an HQI ballast... I think XM now makes bulbs for those fixtures, but I've yet to try or heard anyone comment on them.

If you are using the mogul based bulbs and PAR is your one point of comparison then the XM 10k Mogul bulbs are very good, the 15k aren't so good. Well and 20k not going to really get alot of PAR out of a bulb that blue period.

Brandon

bkv1997 said:
We were talking about DE bulbs powered by an HQI ballast... I think XM now makes bulbs for those fixtures, but I've yet to try or heard anyone comment on them.

If you are using the mogul based bulbs and PAR is your one point of comparison then the XM 10k Mogul bulbs are very good, the 15k aren't so good. Well and 20k not going to really get alot of PAR out of a bulb that blue period.

Brandon

i have a corallife aqualite pro 150x2, 96x2 and 4 moonglow. it it a DE HQI...i just want to get the best color out of my livestock but also wants to maintain their growth rate as of the 10k will offer.:beerchug:

I have the hamilton 14k I think they are way to blue. I replaced one of my 14k with a 4mo. old xm 10k seem to be getting better groth off of that side of tank than the side with the 14k relly to soon to tell IMO hamilton 14k is not the way to go

Yea the pheonix are just enough blue to knock that bright white look off, it doesn't acctually look Blue.

I have got great growth results with mine and over the years have found when things start growing slow for me its usually alk or calc, but i'm pretty much all sps.

Brandon

If you halides are too blue, supplement with some 6500k flourescents. I think you will like the mix. good luck with your light project.

Back