Filtration

pheasant29

Reefing newb
I keep reading that bio wheels can add nitrates to your tank. How does this happen? I have a big penguin bio wheel along with a bio ball sump trickle filter. Protein skimmer running in the sump as well. I have two korilias coming in the mail soon.
So what do you guys think? I flush the filter media and bio wheels once a week. I also run a carbon filter in the trickle filter above the bio balls. Will this cause me any troubles?

What actually causes the problem,is the type of bacteria that colonizes the bio-wheels and bio-balls ( I forget the exact name ). But they need air and their byproducts are nitrates. Its the other bacteria than doesnt need air that reduces the nitrates.Those live deep within the rock and in deep sand beds ( 6 inches and deeper ).
Plus the bio-balls will trap detritus and other waste that will break down and compromise water quality.

Thanks, Thats fuuny. When i had my old tank 12 or so years ago. Bio balls and bio wheels were supposed to be great for the system. Things sure do change as we find more and more out. So will all these crazy little balls be use full at all? Thanks again.

The nitrifying bacteria produces nitrates as the waste.That is what coats the biowheel and bioballs.There are two solutions,either remove them or clean them often enough that the nitrifying bacteria doesn't colonize those places.Live rock does a better job with an added benefit,deep inside the rock where there is no oxygen,de-nitrifying bacteria removes some of the nitrates.

Back