Filter ??

AmberSunrise

Reef enthusiast
Ok guys I have been reading and reading and reading and I just cant decide what to do about a filter.

I only have a 27g cube and I am not that interested in fish. I have 1 watchman goby, my main interest is in corals which I am slowly practicing with. I am about to upgrade my lighting to a 6bulb T5 set up in about 2 weeks before getting anymore corals.

ANYWAY right now I am using an aquaclear 50 with all 3 levels of filtration. The white rocks, the carbon bag and the sponge (I clean this about weekly with tank water)

I have been told to ditch the carbon completely by some, others have said to use only chemipure carbon without the white rocks and others have said they use all 3 also.

I have always had freshwater tanks and wouldnt dream of running it without the carbon so its very hard for me to accept removing it.

I wanted to see if anyone else has small tanks here and dont use a skimmer and how they go about the process.

With a small tank like that, you can get away without a filter or skimmer, especially if you don't have a large number of fish. Just make sure to keep up with water changes every week or two. It's up to you if you want to continue using carbon -- some people use it 24/7, others only use it a couple days a month to polish the water, and others don't use it at all.

With a small tank like that, you can get away without a filter or skimmer, especially if you don't have a large number of fish. Just make sure to keep up with water changes every week or two. It's up to you if you want to continue using carbon -- some people use it 24/7, others only use it a couple days a month to polish the water, and others don't use it at all.

LOL well that doesnt help at all!! :mrgreen: I think I am going to upgrade the carbon to the chemipure which seems to get awesome reviews. I have a total of 5 aquariums so several hours a weekend is spent on water changes, pruning etc anyway.
I do have about 15lbs of live rock and live sand so that helps.

Thanks!

Don't completely ditch the power filter. Use it as a backup filter. In case detritus/gunk gets stirred in your tank, you can use the power filter to suck up some of it and dispose to help keep your tank a bit clear. Then just store it when you don't need it.

I would just keep doing what your doing right now :)

Small tanks with low bio-load don't need too much.

Just keep the filter cleaned out and replace the carbon periodically etc..

and a weekly/bi-weekly water change

You should be just fine!

Back