Filter Questions

ReefNOOB21

Reefing newb
I've been reading that I would not need a filter for my tank? I just purchased a 25g and still in the planning stages. the guy at my local lfs told me to get a hang on filter when i told him i was considering an external canister. what to do about this?

For small tanks, you do not need a filter as long as you are doing regular water changes. I agree to not get the canister filter. They can very easily lead to high nitrates (poor water quality) and are not worth the hassle for saltwater tanks. A hang on back filter would be fine, but you would have to clean it very often, and the filter cartridges add up in price after a while. I would just skip a filter altogether and do 10% to 20% water changes each week.

Water changes are great.. i have 20 gallon tank i do have hang on filter and it is kinda annoying and filters are kinda pricey so i am doing a 10 gallon sump tank as my filter instead of the hang on kind. plus helps with nitrates and such

Yeah im new at all this so idk if ill be able to have a sump tank considering my budget. im just trying to figure out hte best set up for my tank. if yall could post what i would all need for my tank that would be appreciated! so far i just ahve a tank. i plan having coral as well

I'd need 2 powerheads? and is there any particular way im supposed to direction them? and as for corals... i was wondering how to attach them to the rocks or do i just set them down and they attach themselves

One or two, depending on how strong they are. There are various ways to attach corals to rocks. Some come already attached to a small rock, and you just put the rock where you want it. For ones that don't, you can use super glue gel or epoxy putty.

*She. That's why it says, "I am a girl". ;).

Oh crap sorry lol :P and i seen that before just was not paying attention sorry hun lol...

And yea i would get a protein skimmer. That will help out with your water also and keep it safe. Power head is a must i have one in my tank and fish like it.

Back