filter gph?

jermpool

NAAO President
I have a read several articles on the "right" gph for a filter to work efficiently. I want to know how many GPH you members with a well established reef run on your tank. I am getting ready to set up a 125 gal.

Hey brother good to see you finally joined us check out johns article on the brelin method on page 5 of helpful articles and also if you wish to order an additional 50 lbs of live for your refugium when I get my new lights I will give you mine to suspend above your sump. Just a thought.

I've heard it should turn over the volume of the tank at least ten times per hour, so for a 125 gallon, you would want something to run at least 1250 gph. I have a 55 gallon with it turning over 600 gph, so mine is near that ten mark.

Actually if you think about it, your turning over more being a reef you have to subtract gallons for dsb, live rock and coral.

Thanks biffer. I do know that my most successful tank was a 20 that ran a 300 gph filter. I wonder if I should facor in my sump/refugium into that amount?

I added a 20 gallon sump/fuge with chaeto to try and bring my nitrates down, but it had no effect. I have a very stubborn nitrate problem. It does make water changes so much easier though and I like having a steady pod supply to my tank. I'd really recommend it if you have the space (my sump doesn't fit under my tank, so it sits on the floor next to my main tank, plumbed with PVC -- it's really ugly and takes up a lot of space).

If he don't have the space I'll make it. I put those kitchen cabinets in and I can take them out. I don't care what his wife says. :D

She is so going to hate me before its all said and done jerm she dont know about the other tank yet we just have to find a place to put it and Im going to set it up while she is at work when she comes home ill tell her if she wants it down she can take it down which in turn assures me that it will stay up we both know how proactive she is :)

JellyMan said:
She is so going to hate me before its all said and done jerm she dont know about the other tank yet we just have to find a place to put it and Im going to set it up while she is at work when she comes home ill tell her if she wants it down she can take it down which in turn assures me that it will stay up we both know how proactive she is :)

You mean reactive not proactive. Proactive prevents a situation reactive is afterwards. :bounce:

In reefs I try to aim for a minimum of 25 times turn over, but velocity is the key here. Use something like a SEIO or a Tunze pump... the goal is to move a large volume of water at a lower velocity. THe goal isn't to have your corals hanging on for dear life.

I turn over about 50x or so in my tank and wish I could add more.

Brandon

bkv1997 said:
In reefs I try to aim for a minimum of 25 times turn over, but velocity is the key here. Use something like a SEIO or a Tunze pump... the goal is to move a large volume of water at a lower velocity. THe goal isn't to have your corals hanging on for dear life.

I turn over about 50x or so in my tank and wish I could add more.

Brandon

Are you saying I should have a large return pipe to lower the pressure of the pump?

I wasn't talking about the return pump in gerneral.... I was more specifically talking about intank powerheads.

I did something similiar in my 55 though with putting a black 3/4" line along the back of my tank and have it exit in 4 or 5 spots back into the tank all coming from the one sump pump.

Back