Dumb question, smell?

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
Okay, so I'm still young in this hobby. My tank seems to be doing well. All parameters are, and have been great. I do weekly 5 gallon water changes in my 90 gallon tank. I clean the skimmer cup daily. It doesn't over react or under react. The ATO keeps things topped off. All but 3 snails have survived. The three that didn't were immediately removed from the tank.

Over the last 2 weeks, the tank seems to smell. Its not a dead fish smell, but more like a stagnant ocean pool smell. Its not over powering, but it is noticeable. I don't have any leaks. I haven't spilled water during changes. Everything LOOKS great. So, my question is...... is this normal? Is there something I'm missing?

The only change I am going to make to the setup is to remove the sponge material from my sump. So far it hasn't caused any issues, but I know in time it will. I should have taken it out when I started. Would this cause a smell?

Thanks! Will do!

I do have some questions though.

I'm thinking of adding an eShoppes micron bag holder to my sump. Can I just put carbon in the filter bag? I'm going to remove the current inlet and replace it with the bag and holder. Does this sound right?

Last edited:
Back