Cycling Question

Roadki11

Reefing newb
So ya, I'm new here and starting my first 29g tank. I've been reading my books and trolling forums for a while now and finally talked my wife into letting me get a tank. So here's my question. I've read in some places, and one (of the many) stores I went in told me to put a fresh, never frozen shrimp in the tank to help the cycling process, and other places have said not to do this because it makes the cycling longer. I have 30 lbs of live sand, 5 lbs of live rock, and 30 lbs of dead rock. Would putting the shrimp in help cycle it all better and help the bacteria and everything turn the dead rock into live rock, or am I better off not putting it in, since it will turn to live rock eventually anyway?

Be wary of additives. The shrimp method is preferred :D

That also looks like a freshwater product. That will do nothing put put unknown chemicals and dead freshwater bacteria in your tank.

You do need some sort of dead material to get your cycle started. There might be some on the rock but using a small piece of table shrimp is the easiest way. And in this hobby, patience is everything! If it takes an extra week or so to cycle the tank it is worth it because you will have that much more bacteria colonized in your rock to help keep your parameters stable when you do add your first fish! I have no idea about frozen vs never frozen, but definitely make sure it isn't cooked. To be on the safe side I would just go to the deli at your supermarket and buy a few shrimp for dinner, and cut a small piece off of one to throw in your tank before you cook it. Welcome and good luck!

Back