Cycling a tank

Banana Man

Reefing newb
Hi,

I am going to buy a new large Aquarium but i am also looking at buying a house very soon so i want to wait until thats out of the way first. I do have my small tank that's not in use so could get that going and then move everything to the new tank when i get the new house but dont know if thats a waste of time and effort. If i cycle new live rock in the small tank will i have to restart a new cycle anyway when i move everything into the new tank when i have to add more sand and more water? Also it would be a major hassle to move the water from the small tank to te new house anyway so again probably a waste of time.

I think it doesnt make any sense but thought i'd ask anyway just in case it can be done and i save myself 2 months when i do get the new tank.

Going to get the Aqua One Aquareef 400 :) Any thoughts on this? I like this tank except for the section stuck at the back middle of the tank... i'd prefer it in the back corner. Also, i'd prefer clear glass at the back rather than a black background but that's not so important.

The wait is killing me :(

Maybe I can answer some questions...

I do have my small tank that's not in use so could get that going and then move everything to the new tank when i get the new house but dont know if thats a waste of time and effort.

How small is it exactly?

If i cycle new live rock in the small tank will i have to restart a new cycle anyway when i move everything into the new tank

Yes you will have to cycle both tanks.

Also it would be a major hassle to move the water from the small tank to te new house anyway so again probably a waste of time.

You wouldn't move the water from one tank to another. Are you using RO/DI water?

I think it doesnt make any sense but thought i'd ask anyway just in case it can be done and i save myself 2 months when i do get the new tank.

If it's only two months, I suggest reading and doing some research if you are new to the hobby. I suggest asking a lot of questions, and planning your new tank the best that you can before you start. This will help you avoid many novice mistakes that can be expensive and give you a headache.

Going to get the Aqua One Aquareef 400 :) Any thoughts on this? I like this tank except for the section stuck at the back middle of the tank... i'd prefer it in the back corner. Also, i'd prefer clear glass at the back rather than a black background but that's not so important.

An Aqua One 400 is going to run you about $2,000, have you considered the cost of all other equipment? You can always buy a regular tank at your LFS and paint the back the color of your choice, and you can order an overflow to put it exactly where you want. Not trying to make any decisions for ya, just my .02 cents.

Best of luck!

My small tank is 80L (20 Gallon). I had it up and running for nearly a year but went away for 2 months during the summer so gave my fish and coral to a friend.

If i need to recycle i'll just have to wait. I will probably have to get work done on the new house when i buy it so it could be 6 months before i actually move so it could be a very long wait.

I used to get my water from the store every 2 weeks but for the bigger tank i plan on getting an RO/DI unit this time.

I might get a self build setup. I have the impression if i get everything separately it will cost more though but i could be wrong. I just bought a new saltwater aquarium book so that will keep me going for a while. I have alot to learn from my first attempt :)

Thanks for the reply!

Back